Hydraulic Ram Pump
Low maintenance pumping of water without electricity!
Hydraulic ram pump are a time-tested technology that use the energy of a large amount of
water falling a small height to lift a small amount of that water to a much greater height. In
this way, water from a spring or stream in a valley can be pumped to a village or irrigation
scheme on the hillside.
A hydraulic ram pump can pump approximately one tenth of the received water volume to a height ten times
greater than the intake. Depending on the difference in heights between the inlet pipe and the
outlet pipe, these water pumps will lift 1-20 percent of the water that flows into it. A
hydraulic ram pump is useful where the water source flows constantly and the usable fall from
the water source to the pump location is at least 3 feet.
Since a hydraulic ram pump can only be used in situations where falling water is available, their use is
restricted to three main applications:
Hydraulic Ram Pump Advantages include:
- lifting drinking water from springs in valleys to settlements on higher ground.
- pumping drinking water from clean streams that have significant slope.
- lifting irrigation water from streams or raised irrigation channels.
- Very simple construction and easy to install yourself.
- Does not consume petrol, diesel or electricity.
- Minimum maintenance.
- Pollution free.
- Quiet pumping 24 hours per day.